Monday, October 18, 2010

Questions that Need Answers

Jenny, a church youth leader, is helping Stephanie to prepare to tell her mother that she’s pregnant. After Stephanie stated that abortion was not a consideration, Jenny moved on to her next question. “Do you love Brent? Do you want to marry him?” Stephanie frowned. “I don’t think I love Brent at all. I hardly know him. Our relationship was childish and selfish I suppose--nothing to build a marriage on. Besides, he lives out West, and I live here. We don’t have anything in common…except this.” She touched her abdomen, which was beginning to make room for the fetus within.

“Would you consider raising the child yourself as a single parent?” Jenny asked. “I don’t know,” Stephanie said, searching the ceiling in thought. “I’ve always wanted to be a mother, and there are many things about having a child that appeal to me. But I haven’t even finished high school yet. I don’t have a job, and it’s not fair to ask Mom to support us both. I also wonder if being raised by a working mom is really the best thing for my child. I need to think about that more.”

Jenny continued, “How would you feel about Brent or his parents raising your child, if they wanted to do so?” Stephanie frowned again. “I don’t even know his parents. If I gave the child up, I would want to make sure it would go to an excellent home.” “So you’ve already thought about adoption?” Kate interjected. After a sigh, Stephanie said, “I know that it’s an option, but I need to learn more about it. But whatever I decide, I think Brent should have a vote.”

No comments: