Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mom...I'm Pregnant

Stephanie felt terrible that she was about to tell her mother that she's pregnant. Jenny had said that her parents would probably experience many of the same emotions she was struggling through-- confusion, fear, guilt, shame, anger. “Just like you,” Jenny had said as she drove Stephanie home, “your parents need time to adjust to the news of your pregnancy and its implications on their lives.”

“Jenny and I need to talk to you about something, Mom,” Stephanie said. “Can we sit down for a few minutes?” After drawing a deep breath Stephanie said, “I found out yesterday…that I’m…pregnant.” Claire’s face clouded with disbelief. “You…you’re pregnant? Stephanie, why…how….?” Stephanie summarized her encounter with Brent in June and the results of the pregnancy test the previous afternoon. Her mother listened in stunned silence.

“Mom, I am so sorry to disappoint you like this,” as tears trickled down her cheeks. “I never wanted this to happen. I made a terrible mistake. With Jenny’s help, I have confessed my sin to God. But I know what I have done will be an embarrassment and an extra burden to you. I apologize and ask you to forgive me.” Claire began to weep. “Of course I forgive you, Stephanie,” she said. “I am shocked and disappointed and hurt, but I forgive you.” Mother and daughter embraced, held each other, and cried together.

No comments: