Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Let's Talk

Stephanie slept better than she had expected to after telling Kate and Jenny about getting pregnant. Just being with them seemed to lift some of the weight from her. After a breakfast, Jenny, Stephanie, and Kate moved into the family room with cups of hot tea. It was a conversation Stephanie wished she could avoid.

“It’s very important to tell your mother about your pregnancy right away, Stephanie,” Jenny began. Stephanie winced. “I know, but she will be really disappointed. It’s been so hard on her since Dad left.” “Would you like me to go with you when you tell her?” Jenny offered. Stephanie released a sigh of relief. “I was hoping you would. Thanks.”

Jenny paused briefly to gather her thoughts then said, “Well, I want to ask you several questions on some topics you are probably already thinking about. You don’t have to make these decisions today. But it’s important that you have an idea what you’re going to do before we talk to your mother.” “All right,” Stephanie replied.

Jenny’s tone was serious. “First, are you in any way considering an abortion?” The question did not take Stephanie by surprise. “If you had asked me that question six months ago, I would have said, ‘No way, never in a million years.’ Even before I became a Christian I was dead-set against abortion. But I wasn’t pregnant then."

No comments: