Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Want to Run Away

“I can’t tell Jenny about being pregnant, she's a youth group leader,” Stephanie said in despair to her friend. “I can hardly bear the thought of telling my mom. I don’t want anybody at church to know I'm pregnant.

Stephanie felt lost. After several seconds she said, “I don’t know what to do, Kate. I’m not in love with Brent, but maybe someday I could be. I don’t know what to do about telling my mom. And I don’t know what to do about this baby. I just want to run away and hide.”

“I love you, Stephanie, and I can’t let you do that,” Kate said firmly. “We will get through this like we get through everything else: together. But we can’t do it alone. We need to call Jenny. She’ll know what to do, and she won’t blab to anyone.” Stephanie nodded her head. She knew her friend was right, but she felt so embarrassed.

Kate quickly arranged for the three of them to get together later that night. They picked up a pizza and took it to Jenny’s house for an evening of “girl talk” and a sleepover. As they sat down around the pizza box, Jenny eyed the sad face across the table and asked, “Is everything okay with you?” During a torrent of tears, Stephanie’s story of pregnancy tumbled out. “It’s OK, Stephanie,” Jenny said, “let it all out.” The hesitancy Stephanie had felt about telling Jenny quickly melted in the warmth of her comforting embrace and sympathetic tears.

No comments: