Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Desires of Your Heart

Ashley held her breath as she waited for the next words out of Bobby's mouth. She had prayed often and always felt like it was God's will, and her desire, to be with Bobby. But did he feel the same way? What if God didn't reveal the same will to him? She waited anxiously.

Bobby reached over to take Ashley's hands and looked into her eyes. "Being away from you is definitely not what I want. I could do it if God directed me to, but this weekend I realized that God is pleased to give me the desires of my heart. And my heart's desire is to be with you." Tears of joy filled Ashley's eyes. Bobby continued, "I don't know what the long term future holds for us, Ashley. Like Doug and Jenny say, God usually reveals His will a day at a time. But I want our immediate futures to be together. State has a decent baseball program, and they have offered me a modest scholarship. So for now at least, I want to go to school with you at State—if that's what you want."

The tears cascaded down Ashley's cheeks. "More than anything, I want God's will for both of us," she said. "And if His will is to give me the desires of my heart, I couldn't be happier with your decision." Bobby and Ashley talked for an hour about their dreams for the future. Then, hand in hand, they spent several minutes committing their dreams and desires to God in prayer.

No comments: