Thursday, September 20, 2012

Casting a Spell


I heard that at the Halloween party Ms. Carmona is going to cast a spell on the Bellardi campaign." Shawna's jaw slacked. "Cast a spell? Are you joking?" "No, I'm not joking. That's what witches do, you know. And after she puts the devil's hex on Senator Bellardi Sunday night, he's sure to lose."

The passing bell rang, and Shawna was relieved that lunch period was over. She did not want to talk about the Halloween party anymore. In fact, she was less sure than ever that she wanted to go.

"You don't want Bellardi to lose?" Terilyn asked. Shawna quickly backpedaled. "I didn't say that. I just don't like talking about all that other stuff, like witches and spells." Terilyn blew an exasperated sigh. "I'm sure, Shawna. Just when I think you're ready to leave the religious dark ages you go and say something like that. It's a new day. Tap into all the powers available to you. Don't let your brain get in the way of your true feelings. Go with what works for you. You've come so far since I met you. Don't give up now.

Lately, Shawna had begun to see another side of her friend that seemed so dark and dangerous. She did not want to lose Terilyn for a friend, but Shawna feared that if she kept up the friendship she might end up doing something she did not want to do.

 

No comments: