Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Encouragement for the Grieving

Chad felt overwhelmed at the encouragement people shared with him and his family: bouquets, potted plants, scores of cards and letters filled with kind words of concern and love, and people called to share their love and sympathy and ask how the family was doing. Chad was especially blessed by the oversized card from the church youth group. Everyone had written in it, signed it, and included Scripture verses.

Even with all the support and encouragement, Chad had his down times. "I really get emotional around bedtime," he confided in Doug. "Mom usually came into chat and pray with me before I turned out the light. I miss that so much already." "I feel so sad that you won't have that nightly visit with your Mom, Chad," Doug consoled. Chad continued, "I seem to cycle through those different feelings you talked to me about. Mostly I'm either very sad or very mad -- and either way, I get really emotional."

"That's okay, Chad," Doug said. "It's part of the process."

No comments: