Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Need Attention and Appreciation

Six common emotional needs are attention, appreciation, approval, acceptance, respect, and affection. As you read about these six needs, two or three of them may stand out to you. They are likely your most pressing emotional needs at this time. At some point in the future, it will be helpful for you to talk to your parents about them:

Attention

Our need for attention is met when someone shows interest and concern for who we are and what we do. If any of the following statements are true of you, perhaps your need for attention is not being fully met in your closest relationships:

My parents or friends don't ever listen to me.
My parents or friends don't have time for me.
I often feel ignored by my parents or friends.
Dad and Mom rarely do anything with me.
My friends never want to do what I want to do.
My parents almost never come to anything I'm involved in (concerts, ball games, etc).

Appreciation

We feel appreciated when others share words of gratitude or praise for what we do. If you can identify with any of these statements, your need for appreciation is not being fully met:

My parents seldom notice when I do something around the house.
Mom and Dad talk about my bad behavior but hardly ever mention the good things.
I don't think my parents or friends are aware of my positive qualities.
I hardly ever hear the words "Thank you" from my parents or friends.

No comments: