Monday, January 28, 2013

Keeping a Secret


“I think I'll head home and check on my kids,” said Stevie. “I'll be back in an hour or so." She fished in her purse for a piece of scrap paper and a pen. "Will you call me if you hear anything before I get back?" "Sure," Ernie said, "But in the meantime, if you talk to anyone, please don't tell them what I've confided to you. I don't want to upset Dan and Patricia. And if Wes ... doesn't make it, then, well... perhaps they don't ever need to know. It may be just as well for all concerned if AntiCrist dies with him."

Stevie swallowed the lump in her throat. "Don't worry, I won't breathe a word” she said, standing to leave. Ernie's theory, though arguably believable, was still conjecture and purely circumstantial. She was not about to discuss it with anyone until she determined it to be fully true. With all her heart she prayed that something would turn up to prove him wrong.

When Stevie reached her car she decided to check her email. She glanced at her list of incoming mail. Nothing that could not wait until later, except... Wait, what was this? She recognized Wes's email address. The date and time listed on the letter was October 31, 11:15 p.m. The subject line read, "Can You Keep a Secret, Stevie?" Desperately trying to control her trembling hands, she opened the letter. As she did so, she remembered her words to Ernie about writers having trouble verbalizing their feelings. Maybe the answers we're looking for are in here, Stevie thought. She took a deep breath and, as rain continued to pelt the roof, she began to read.

No comments: