Thursday, June 14, 2012

Safety First




"Dad, I really don't need a bodyguard." Wes was pacing the family room at the ranch as he spoke. His voice was still hoarse from a chest cold. "Of course you do, Weston. This crazy man may try something again. I don't want anything to happen to you," the senator said,  dressed in jeans and ready to head off to another campaign appearance.

Thanks to the quick action of county fire crews, the Bellardi place would be livable during repairs. "Maybe I should just go back to school," Wes conceded. "At least I'd be out of the way." The senator shook his head. "No, Son, that wouldn't do any good. If this AntiCrist person decides he wants to come after you, he can track you down there easily enough. There's work to be done, and we need to maintain a positive family image, especially with your mother ... gone for a while."

Wes's jaw line twitched as he pressed his lips together. "I'm worried about her," he said softly. "Do you think she'll be all right?" Daniel replied, "Your mother will be fine. She just needed some time away. Campaigning is very hard on her." Wes knew there was more to his mother's absence than campaign pressure, but he also knew that, with Mike Bragan in the room, his father would not pursue the subject. Returning to their original topic of conversation, Wes said, "I'm very uncomfortable with someone shadowing me everywhere I go, Dad." Daniel replied, "And I'm very uncomfortable with your being alone. Ernie is a good man. He won't be a burden to you, and knowing he's with you eases my mind when I'm gone." Wes sulked back to his room, knowing the argument was futile to continue.

No comments: