Thursday, February 16, 2012

Teacher’s Morals

Jon smiled confidently. Stevie suspected he was ready to spring another trap on her. He said, "What about Ms. Brown, Collin's English teacher?" "OK, I'll bite. What about Ms. Brown?" Stevie asked. "Ms. Brown is single and straight, but she lives with her boyfriend. Does she also get fired as an undesirable role model? Or is adultery a more tolerable form of immorality in North California?

Even though Jon was being kind about it, Stevie was tired of being baited. "I don't know, Jon, but I'm sure that Senator Bellardi does. He's a good man, a God-fearing, Bible-believing man. And he wants what's right for the people of North California."

Jon spoke before she could continue. "I'm not trying to hassle you or confuse you—really, I'm not. I just want you to know what you're getting into. I hope Dan Bellardi is everything you say he is, and I hope he can do some good up here. But right and wrong isn't always so black and white, Stevie. You can't categorically say that all homosexuals and abortion doctors and marijuana growers ought to be arrested or shipped south. I just don't want you to go into this campaign with blinders on."

No comments: