Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Road Trip

A sudden thought froze Jon at the window. Without taking a breath, he processed it. Sunday is the Fourth, and I get Monday off. Why didn't I think of this before? After only seconds he released a breath and glanced at his watch: 11:49 P.M. "I won't be there in time for breakfast with the kids, but if I leave right now I can make it for lunch," he said aloud. "And I don't have to head home until Monday afternoon." Jon slapped his hands together triumphantly. "Yes!"

Fifteen minutes later Jon threw a small bag behind the seat of his blue Ranger pickup and drove to the all-night Chevron station on Devonshire. After filling the tank and washing the windshield, he bought a twenty-ounce cup of hot coffee and headed for Interstate 5. Reaching the freeway, he turned north for the ten-hour trek to Redding. As he gunned the Ranger up the on-ramp, Jon turned on the radio and started singing country-and-western songs at the top of his lungs.

No comments: