Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A New Start

Stevie had barely finished kitchen cleanup when Shawna called. She said, "Dad and I have been talking. It was a hard decision, but I've decided to go with you, if you still want me to." Stevie tried not to show the sudden surge of joy inside. "Yes, honey, I want very much to have you with us in Redding. But, as I said earlier, it's your decision. Is that what you really want?"

"I'm going to miss Dad a lot, and some of my friends. But like you said tonight, a new start in a new place might be a good thing. So I want to go. And would it be OK if I moved home until we leave? I can help you pack." "Of course you can come home, honey," Stevie said, barely holding herself together. "I'll come get you tomorrow morning if you like."

Shawna said little more before saying good-bye. Hanging up the phone, Stevie's eyes flooded with tears at the joyous news. I knew this was the right thing to do. Thank you, God, for directing me. We're a family again, and life is going to be wonderful for us in North California. Stevie brushed the tears from her cheek and set out for the garage to find a cardboard box. She was too excited to sleep. She had to pack at least one box tonight.

No comments: