Thursday, September 22, 2011

Conflicted

Stevie's next words changed everything. Still looking at Shawna, she said, "Honey, I'd like you to consider moving with us. I know we haven't hit it off too well lately. And I know you have your own problems to deal with. If you decide to stay with Dad, it's OK. But I think a move like this could give you a new start. It could give us a new start. I hope you'll think about it."

That was it—no tears, no begging, no threats, no promises. Just an invitation with monstrous implications: leave her friends, her familiar surroundings, her problems, and her dad to move to some town she had barely heard of and where she knew no one.

Having been invited to go along, Shawna did not know what to think. A part of her wanted to cry out immediately, "Please don't leave without me, Mom. I want to go with you." Another part of her resisted the thought of walking away from her friends, particularly the addictive acceptance and affection she had tasted being around people like Destiny and Rik. At this moment Shawna was not sure a new start with her mother could adequately fill her craving for excitement. She was glad she had a little time to think about it.

No comments: