Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Proud of What?

Shawna had scarcely breathed since she heard the officer utter the word charges. Arrest Mom? No, this isn't supposed to happen. The cops are supposed to warn her to cut me some slack and then leave. I don't want Mom in trouble with the law. I don't want to move out. Destiny didn't tell me about this.

The senior officer addressed Shawna. "Do you have somewhere to stay?" Her mind was racing. She didn't want to leave home. She didn't want this to happen. But how could she back out now? "I'd like to stay with my dad, if it's all right with him," Shawna said. Ten minutes later, with a small bag of her possessions in hand, Shawna walked out the door with her father. She knew Destiny would be proud of her for hanging in there to the end. But Shawna felt anything but proud of herself.

No comments: