Monday, July 27, 2009

Telling Your Parents (Part 2)

Jerry Cassidy got up from his chair and approached his daughter. Kneeling down in front of her, he said with tears spilling from his eyes, "Sweetheart, I'm so sorry I wasn't there to protect you. You didn't deserve to be abused. It wasn't your fault. I hurt so deeply for you because I love you so much." Then Jerry and Dorothy enveloped their daughter in their arms as they all sobbed together. Jenny and Heather watched while blinking away tears.

After the crying subsided, Jenny led the small group in a brief prayer. “I sug­gested to Ann that the three of you consider see­ing a Christian counselor together. Perhaps Pastor O'Neill can recommend someone in the community." "That's a good idea," Jerry said, standing and wiping tears from his face with a handkerchief. Jenny continued, “In time, I know God will help Ann and both of you to heal from the awful things that happened. But we need one another. God designed us to function best when we have the comfort, support and encouragement of others. He doesn't want us to hurt or to heal alone." Jenny, Heather and Ann hugged each other as they moved toward the door. “Thank you so much for being here with me,” Ann said. “I don’t’ think I could have done it without you.” “We’re just so happy that you were able to tell your horrible secret,” Jenny said as they hugged and said goodbye.

No comments: