Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How Does God Feel About You?

Jenny said, “I want you to know that God does not look down on you because you have been sexually abused. He knows it wasn't your fault. He's not disap­pointed or mad at you because of how you were treated by your grandfather. I want you to see how God really feels about you. Ann. Why don't you read Isaiah 63:9?" Ann read aloud, "In all their distress He too was distressed, and the angel of His presence saved them. In His love and mercy He redeemed them; He lifted them up and carried them all the days of old." "According to this verse, how does God feel when His people are distressed?" Jenny quizzed. "He feels distressed too," Ann answered. "So how do you think God feels about what you have been through, Ann?" "I'm sad and upset about it, so I guess He's sad and upset about it also." Jenny leaned closer. "And how does that make you feel?" Ann paused to think about it. "If He hurts because I'm hurting, it makes me feel very spe­cial, like He really knows me and loves me." "That's right, Ann," Jenny emphasized. "He knows how much pain your grandfather's abuse has caused over the years. And He hurts because you hurt."

"Mathew 11:28 is really encouraging too," Heather said. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." "According to this verse, what does Jesus have to offer for your condition?" "Rest," she answered with a slight smile. "Ann, there's one more passage I want you to see.” "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" (Hebrews 4:15-16). "God not only feels my hurt and offers rest, but He can also help me," Ann said. "God is willing and waiting to help you get through your tough time. So one of the best things you can do to cope with your feelings is to cultivate a deeper relationship with God and depend on Him for strength and help." Ann dropped her head. "I haven't been doing too well in that category. This helps me want to get back to having personal devotions again." "That's good, Ann," Jenny responded. "Spend­ing time each day in prayer and Bible reading will really help."

No comments: