Monday, April 20, 2009

Searching for a Father’s Love (continued)

Here are two more letters from kids that touched me deeply:

My name is Jennifer. I am fifteen years old. I watch your show every time I can. Thank you so much for just caring. I know you have never met me, but it’s almost like you’re the daddy I never had. You see, my real dad left me and my mom when I was a baby, and when I was just three years old my step-dad left. Neither one of them would fall under the name “father.”
The other night you said that most kids don’t want to have sex, they just want someone to care. That is so true! I have almost fallen into the “sex trap” because I just wanted a man to love me.

In Birmingham, when I shook hands with you and gave you the letter, and you gave me a “peck” on the cheek, I must say, it made me feel “loved.” A peck on the cheek is a “fatherly” expression. I’ve never had a kiss! I wish I’d had a father to phone me and say, “I love you, honey.”

Perhaps some of you fathers are feeling that I’m being unfair. “I thought you said the problem was inattentive parents. You seem to be focusing only on fathers. What about inattentive mothers?” (To be continued).

No comments: