Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Skeptic’s Quest – My Testimony Part 19

While my life was changed basically in six months to a year or year-and-a-half after I accepted Christ as my Savior, the life of my father was changed right before my eyes. It was like somebody reached down and turned on a light bulb. He only touched alcohol once after that. He got it to his lips, and that was it. Fourteen months later he died, because three-fourths of his stomach and many of his inner organs had been destroyed. But as a result of his decision, scores of people in that little tiny town and surrounding areas where I was born came to know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord because of the changed life of the town drunk.

I’ve come to one conclusion, Christianity is not a religion. Religion is men and women trying to work their way to God through good works and religious ritual to please God in order to be accepted. That’s not Christianity – that is religion. Christianity is God coming to us. “For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son.” It’s God coming to us through His Son Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for your sins and my sins, to be buried, raised again on the third day through the power of the Father, and then to offer us a free gift of salvation.

No comments: