Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Skeptic’s Quest – My Testimony Part 10

I thought, “Well, maybe education is the answer to the questions--who am I, why am I here and where am I going?” I live in a very educated country, and I figured that coming from the farm where the cream will rise to the top of the milk that the cream must be the educated. So I enrolled in the university.

Let me tell you what a disappointment it is to enroll in any university in the world in order to find truth. I was, by far, one of the most unpopular students with the faculty in the first university I attended, and the reason is that I used to go to my faculty’s offices and wait for them for hours because I had so many questions. In fact, I think when a lot of my faculty saw me coming, they would turn the lights off, pull the shades and lock the door and wait out the storm. One of the reasons they did that was because they could not answer the questions that I had about life. Do you know what I found? I found that my professors could teach me how to make a better living, but they couldn’t teach me how to live better.

I thought, “Well, maybe prestige is the answer – being known, finding a cause, giving your life to it.” I ran for various political offices in the university and got elected. And it was neat, knowing everyone, spending their money to do what I wanted to do. But there was one problem. After all of this, I would wake up every Monday morning the same individual, usually with a headache because of the night before. Almost every Monday morning my attitude was, “Well, here goes another five days.” I kind of endured Monday through Friday. Happiness evolved around three nights a week, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and then I would start that cycle all over again.

No comments: