Monday, January 9, 2012

Forgiveness Offered

"Eugene, I have a couple of things I need to get off my chest. First, I want you to know that I was very angry and upset by what happened to my wife and son on April eighth." Hackett cursed and moved to stand. The husky, middle-aged deputy standing nearby placed a firm hand on his shoulder and forced him back into his seat.

Jon nodded his thanks to the deputy and continued. "We felt traumatized and violated. The injuries to my family, and the mental and emotional pain I suffered because of it, were completely uncalled for. And the realization that they could have been more severely hurt or killed is a—" "So sue me," Hackett spat, adding vile epithets directed at Jon.

Jon saw the deputy flinch, then noticed his nostrils flare and his face redden with anger. "Eugene, you need to know that I wholeheartedly support the criminal justice system and the consequences it may impose for your behavior. The second thing I want you to know is that I forgive you for what happened. I don't hold anything against you personally. In fact, I hope and pray that you come out of this experience a better person. That's all I wanted to say."

No comments: