Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Shattered Windows

Unable to see her son in the near darkness, Stevie cried out, "Collin!" She stayed on all fours searching the room for him, ignoring the cuts she was accumulating from broken glass. She found him lying on the floor on the far side of the bed. Touching his still body, her cry was frantic: "Collin!" "Mom, there's glass all over me," the boy whimpered. "Whenever I move I get another cut." Relieved to the point of tears, Stevie said, "Don't move, honey. I'll get the glass off of you in just a minute. I'm so glad you're all right."

Almost immediately, Stevie heard the voices of concerned neighbors approaching the house. The silent alarm, triggered by the shattered window, would bring the police, she knew. Perhaps the same two female officers who had been there earlier were among the contingent rushing to the scene.

No comments: