Thursday, May 5, 2011

Guilt is Extra Baggage

"Tell me about this Rik guy and the email," Jon said. Shawna had mentally rehearsed her response before her dad arrived. She looked him in the eye because she knew it was more convincing. "Daddy, it was nothing, just a computer joke, I swear. I've never even met Rik, and I don't intend to. Mom trashed my computer before I had a chance to explain. She's blowing the whole thing out of proportion."

Shawna felt a disquieting pang of guilt invade her before she finished the explanation. An excuse is the skin of a reason stuffed with a lie, one of the youth leaders at church had once said. Shawna knew her story was an excuse at best, and she didn't like how it made her feel. Destiny had told her that guilt was just extra baggage from spending too much time in church.

No comments: