Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Parents are Ragging on Me

Ken knew Doug and Jenny Shaw as volunteer youth leaders at church. Ken loved the youth group at church and Doug frequently told kids in the group that he and Jenny-were available to talk with them about anything. Ken really wanted to talk to them about all his struggles with his parents. So, Ken dropped by their print shop hoping that Doug could talk to him. Doug immediately suggested they go grab a fruit smoothie.

The thought of actually telling another person about the anger and hurt he felt toward his parents and his friend Todd made Ken pause to swallow a surprising lump of emotion that had suddenly crept into his throat. "I'm ... I'm having trouble with my parents. We're not getting along very well right now. It seems that everything I do is stupid or wrong. They're always ragging on me about my clothes or my music or my grades. They don't seem to care about who I am and what I like. I don't know if they really love me anymore." When he finished his explanation, Ken had tears in his eyes.

Doug's face clouded with sorrow as he said, "Tell me more about your relationship with your parents. How would you describe your relationship with your dad? "If we're not talking about me - like what's wrong with what I'm doing and stuff - we usually don't talk. He's busy with his work and his hobbies. Nothing I do is ever good enough for him," Ken emphasized, rubbing the hint of a small tear from his eye. Doug asked several more questions about Ken's relationship with his parents and his friend Todd. Finally Doug said, "I have to get back to the shop. But maybe we can get together at church during the 11:00 service. "Until then," Doug said, "I want you to know that I care about you.” Ken felt a spark of comfort and encouragement knowing that he was not alone in his pain. Doug knew and cared, and that meant a lot to Ken.

No comments: