Thursday, November 5, 2009

Seeing Yourself As God Sees You—Part 2

Doug, Sean, and Kevin continued their Bible study. Doug said, “2 Corinthians 5:19 says that God has entrusted us with the ministry of evangelism. Isn't it amazing that God trusts imperfect people like us to bring others to Him!" “I never thought about it that way,” Kevin said with his eyebrows arched in amazement. Doug focused on Kevin, “How does it make you feel, knowing that our perfect, all- powerful God sees you as lovable, valuable, and useful?” Kevin considered the question for several seconds. Then he answered, "Part of me feels like God hasn't taken a very close look at me, because I don't see myself as lovable or valuable or useful to Him. But another part of me feels kind of honored that He sees me this way." Then Doug said, "Kevin, God doesn't make mistakes, and He doesn't have a vision problem. If He sees you as lovable, valuable and useful - and the Bible says that He does - then that's what you are. Right?" Kevin smiled and shrugged. "Right."

Doug continued, talking to both boys, "I believe that God wants us to see ourselves as He sees us. That's how we gain the confidence to deal with the hard things in our lives. If we know that God loves us, values us and desires to use us, we can get through anything." Kevin was suddenly sober. "Even the breakup of a family? Even the horrible death of a close friend?" Doug reached out and touched his arm. "What do you think, Kevin?" he responded, his face full of understanding. Kevin studied the kind faces of his friend and his youth leader. "Yes" he said at last, "I think God can help me get through these things. I guess that running away from my problems is a bad idea if God thinks I’m okay.” "I think you're exactly right, Kevin," Doug responded. "God thinks you're okay, and so do we.”

No comments: