Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I’m Just a Waste of Space

It seemed to take forever for Sean to find something Kevin would do with him. But when Sean suggested that they speed skate the paved path along the river, Kevin showed a spark of interest. So Sean arrived at Kevin's house at 10:00 on a sunny Saturday morning to get him out of bed and help him find his roller blades and kneepads in the garage. Following Kevin, Sean prayed that God would increase his compassion for his friend and give him words that would help unlock Kevin's disturbing behavior. Reaching the halfway point, Sean suggested that they take a break near the river and sip some water. Kevin quickly agreed.

Encouraged by his talk with Doug and Jenny, Sean decided to break the ice. "You've seemed a little quiet and a little down. Is everything all right?" "You don't have to get involved. You have your own problems to deal with. You don't need to hear about mine." "Kev, we're friends." Sean prayed silently for his friend. Kevin released a sharp sigh. Sean could see the pain in his face. "I'm just a waste of space on this planet, and I'm so tired of being in the way." The words sent a chill down Sean's spine. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what's the point? My parents hate each other, and they can't stand me. My brothers think I'm a pest. I'm screwing up in all my classes. My best friend Tim was killed, and my friends don't want to hang out with me - except for you." "You really miss Tim, don't you?" Sean said. "I'm so sad that you feel alone. And I didn't realize school was difficult for you right now. I'm so sorry, Kevin."

Sean jabbed his elbow at his friend. "You are not a waste of space," he insisted. "You are a child of God. You are a guy with really great gifts. Whenever you feel like a waste of space, you just call me, and I'll remind you how good you are. And there is nothing happening in your life that you and I and the Lord can't get through together. Remember, God loves you, and I think you're okay too, except you're such a lousy skater." Kevin chuckled under his breath as he placed his hand on Sean's shoulder. "Thanks, man," Kevin said, almost in a whisper. (To be continued.)

No comments: